“Action is the antidote to despair.” ~Joan Baez
This week has been far from peaceful. We have seen several horrifying examples of the devastation that comes from division and hatred. Despair must be the first thing our minds go to — despair that we have failed to reign in the awful violence of too many guns; despair that people can be filled with so much hatred; despair that people of color are not safe in our midst; and despair that “isms” such as racism and nationalism seem more important that humanity and compassion. So it is ok to spend some time in despair, but it is not ok to stay there. Joan Baez reminds us what we must do — we must ACT. There are lots of actions being circulated, such as
- Text CHECKS to 644-33 to call our senators and tell them it’s time that the Senate pass universal background checks. Or text COMMIT to the same number and fill out a form to volunteer with Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America.
- Check in with our local Moms group on facebook and find out how you can get involved.
- Everytown For Gun Safety has a petition demanding that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell take HR-8 (Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019) to the Senate floor for a vote
- MoveOn members also started a petition to President Trump asking for strong gun control.
- Better yet, write your own letters and emails and make your own calls to everyone you can think of. Put up a yard sign or a sticker on your car. Talk to your neighbors. Do it today, tomorrow and the day after that.
I love imagining what all of us acting can accomplish…Betsy